Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Lunchtime Entertainment

This is something I witnessed earlier this year and wanted to share it...

I met one of my childhood friends for lunch at Corner Bakery. We decided to take advantage of the beautiful, although hot, weather and sit outside on the patio. We found a shaded two-top table sitting right against the outside railing of the patio overlooking the fountains and rail line. I have never noticed the random chairs sitting out around the fountain, which were probably envisioned by some idealistic architect for weary downtown travelers and guests of our fabulous city to stop, relax a bit and enjoy the dancing water show. The reality is that most of these chairs are filled by homeless men. One of these such chairs was positioned about ten feet from our table next to a tree. As I was eating, I had a vision of a man kissing the tree in my peripheral vision. Not believing what I thought I saw, I turned to see that the shirtless homeless man was not kissing the tree, but rather he was licking the tree. He was not just licking the tree with the tip of his tongue, but rather more like the way a dog licks his, well you get the picture. The man proceeded to lick the tree for a solid five minutes. When he began picking at the cracks in the sidewalk like he was looking for grub worms, I decided it was time to leave before he actually pulled something from the crack and popped it into his mouth.

No comments: